A blog devoted to sharing the journeys of my heart

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness, For His name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. Psalm 23

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Help Me Understand, Please

I really like accents. I think they are fun to listen to. It's interesting how people that live so close, can talk so differently. Being a Midwestern girl, I don't have a strong accent. (Although my linguistics teacher in college said differently...) Living in the "south" (Is Kentucky really south?) I am around people that have unique accents. Country accents on a 5 year old are adorable! :) And somedays I wish I had more of the southern draw and twang... it's just fun to say words like, "ya'll".
Anyway, what I need help with understanding...

I was in a faculty meeting this week and a sweet southern lady (Title 1 Reading Specialist, may I add) said these two phrases in the same sentence...
"Today ya'll did a great job on the ELAs; on Mundee we are going to start groups."
Do you notice how on the word "today" she used the long a sound at the end of the word... and then she used the long e sound in Monday, in basically the same word?
Can someone explain to me how the same word can be said differently in the same sentence....? For someone who enjoys hearing accents, especially the southern accent, this annoys me... If you have some thoughts to help me... I'd appreciate them. :)

2 comments:

  1. I have no answer...which is odd, as I usually have an answer for everything.:)

    ReplyDelete