A blog devoted to sharing the journeys of my heart

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness, For His name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. Psalm 23

Sunday, November 20, 2011

chairchairchairchairchair...

They say, "All you really need to know, you learn in Kindergarten."
share, don't hit people, say you're sorry, play fair, put things away, wash your hands....

Well, I guess I didn't learn everything I needed to 21 years ago, because last year God sent me back to kindergarten. I think it was to learn some more life lessons. :)

Defiance, unfortunately, is increasing in kids these days. (No, I don't have any statistics to back that up... it's just my teacher observation. But I think it is a safe statement.) Parents feel entitlement for some reason, and they are passing that down to this young generation.

I have a kiddo in my class who is... defiant. I'm pretty sure 90% of the day is filled with non-preferred activities for him. Meaning, 90% of the day, he pushes and pushes and pushes to get his way. :)

Many conversation have gone like this...
Me- "Johnny" it's time to sit down for calendar time. Please come join the class.
"Johnny" - NO! I don't want to!
Me - I have a really fun game that I know that you don't want to miss. Ms. Erin and I would love you for to come sit with us.
Johnny - NO!
Me - You know, I really like how "Suzy" is sitting on the carpet. Wow! And look at Joey, he's got a bubble in his mouth and his hands in his lap. He is really ready for calendar. I think they both deserve a sticker. Johnny, I'm going to need some helpers later, I know you would be good at being my helper. I really hope that you get to be one.
Johnny - I want to sit in this chair.
Me - Well, that is Ms. Paschal's chair. You can sit on the carpet now, and later you can sit on a chair.
Johnny - NO! Chair!
Me - Well, you won't be able to see and learn in this chair. Sit on the carpet for now, and later you can sit in a red chair during writing.
Johnny - NO! Chair. chair. chair. chair. chair. chair. chair. chair. chair.........

I was processing this on the way to school this week. Gearing up for how to best handle these situations when they came up.

And I realized something big. I am not obedient when it comes to listening to God. I ask for something, and just like "Johnny," when God says no, I become defiant. I might not throw a chair or roll around on the floor... but I become fixated on what I want. And I just keep asking or bucking at the blessings of other great things that are offered. God is desperately trying to guide me to something wonderful and good for me. He knows what I need at the moment and what is good for me. And I could experience those wonderful things and enjoy them... if I really stopped to listen and obey Him.

Have I learned it all yet? Now can I graduate from kindergarten?! :)

Listen to advice and accept discipline,
and at the end you will be counted among the wise.
Many are the plans in a person's heart,
but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails...
The fear of the LORD leads to life.
Proverbs 19:20-21, 23b

2 comments:

  1. very insightful! amazing how much you can learn from little people, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great observation! Ponder, picture, pray - in practice! God is teaching you so much. I love you!

    ReplyDelete