Today I had the wonderful joy of spending time with my Great
Aunt Louise and Great Uncle Bob. I don’t see them often, but when I do, I love
every minute. Aunt Louise and Uncle Bob are both 83 years old and have been
married for almost 54 years.
“You are only as young as you feel”, or “young at heart” are
the most perfect phrases to describe the two. When they met, Uncle Bob was in
the air force. Like many military families they traveled lots of places: from
Missouri, to Texas to Japan, to Korea, and many more places in between. I love
hearing my aunt tell stories about cooking with her Japanese friends, laughing
about the story of an unexpected hailstone braking the window of her car while
driving down the road, getting upset with Uncle Bob for inviting a Japanese
acquaintance home for dinner without notice and not having any food prepared
(devastating his new bride!), accidentally scheduling 3 families to vacation at
their house during the same week… “all great memories,” she said thoughtfully tonight.
My Uncle Bob is sharp as can be! His mind is quick which
makes him seem very young. He can tell me all the details of how to make a
fighter plane. He is quick to congratulate too. I cannot think of a time that a
celebratory event went by that both Uncle Bob and Aunt Louise did not come to
or send a sweet letter… or email! My Aunt and Uncle drove 11 hours from St
Louis to Dallas to come to my sister’s wedding. They were there for less than a
day. They are so quick, and intentional to love family and friends. It's evident relationships matter to them.
At 83, they are still on the go. Today they drove 4 hours to
my cousin’s wedding, stayed 3 hours, and drove 4 hours back home... all in one day. Next week
they are driving to my aunt’s high school reunion, the week after to her family
reunion, and later to Uncle Bob’s 65th year high school reunion…
plus trips this summer to Tennessee to visit their son, and trips to visit grandkids
and other friends and celebrations.
Seriously, they are 83!
“It keeps us young,” my aunt said tonight. “We are blessed
that we can get out. I have some girlfriends that sit inside all day and watch
TV. There’s no fun in that! We want to get out! Even if it is working in the
garden. And I think doing that all these years is what has helped us stay so
young!” 83, people… 83! They are on the go more than me!
“I would love to go to Japan and spend time with my
girlfriend soon. We haven’t see each other in so long… I just want to keep
traveling…we’ve talked about going over there soon…” - Aunt Louise
My aunt and uncle love family well. They are the FIRST
people to celebrate and congratulate. They are true cheerleaders. They are also
people that live life as one great big adventure… which is what this is, isn’t
it? They are an inspiration to me.
“Memories are like cash. You make them, put them in your bank, and take them out as precious treasures each day.” This "young" couple isn’t done making memories. Each day they are ready to love people and have an adventure… Oh, that is how I want my life to be… right now at age 27… and at age 83.



No comments:
Post a Comment