I recently changed my own oil in my car. I was SO proud of myself. My buddy Jordan has helped me out the last few years with my car showing me things or teaching me how to work on my car. I decided that it was time I change the oil on my own... I was so excited to do it!
There are many blessings to being single. Being what I like to call a Renaissance Woman is one of them. I can honestly and truly say I am so thankful that I can live on my own.
I am proud to say I can...
mow the grass
hang a picture
pay bills
shovel my driveway when it snows
change a flat tire
file my FASFA
complete my taxes
change my own oil
plunge a toilet
shop around for the best car insurance policy
wash my car
drill holes and hang shelves
do laundry
cook
keep my house
Now, don't get me wrong. Having someone else around to help with things would be great! I would welcome that anytime! :) However, I am completely thankful for my parents and my single life, teaching me and helping me learn how to stand on my own two feet. Sadly, I have a few friends who cannot complete adult tasks and rely completely on their husbands or parents to take care of things. Now, again, totally ok with being inter-dependent with another person. That is partly how relationships should be! But I am thankful to know that I can function as an adult on my own. That doesn't mean I want to be completely independent or that I am some feminist trying to make a statement. It is great to live in community and help each other out! God intended that! But it is great to know that if I get married and something happens to my husband, I can mow my own grass and plunge my toilet. And... I won't have to go move in with my parents. :) (They are probably just as thankful for that too.)
To me, this is a blessing to living on my own. And I want to remember this, because I often don't focus enough on the blessings of single life. I may not really be a true renaissance woman, but I am thankful for the chance to acquire some good life skills and become as quasi of a renaissance woman as I can. :)






So, can you change my oil next week? I'm due for one.
ReplyDeleteI would like to add to the list:
ReplyDeleteKill spiders and bugs
Unclog bathtub
Get things in and out of the attic
Hang curtains
Take out garbage
Pay for grad school
Manage a budget
Buy a car
Booyah! We rock.
So very impressive! I've never changed my own oil...and Michael pays to have ours changed now. So amazed!
ReplyDelete