A blog devoted to sharing the journeys of my heart

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness, For His name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. Psalm 23

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Legend...3

“It's gonna be legend-... wait for it... and I hopeyou'renotlactoseintolerantbecausethe secondhalfofthatword is DAIRY!” -Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother


This legendary adventure started out innocent. Then some might say it moved to dangerous. But... aren't all adventures a little dangerous? 

Enjoy the account of Legendary... 3.


One of my friends decided to put together an Amazing Race - Woodford County Edition. We were informed that this competition is not timed. It's based on points. The rules were simple. Follow the given map and directions and take pictures at designated checkpoints. Points given were awarded based on creativity and ingenuity... Nancy and I took this literally (as all teams should have...). We decided early on that we might need to create bonus designated checkpoints... I mean, that is both ingenious and creative, right?


So, Nance and I are cruisin' along, knockin out our checkpoints and pictures when we roll along this sign. We think, "This could win some creative points!" So we stop. Take a picture and video. Little did we know we know that this stop was the start to a legend... wait for it.... dary adventure. 
We stopped to take a photo with the "slow for ducks" sign in the middle of nowhere. We thought that we would be back in the car, rockin out to Adele, and heading for our next checkpoint in no time... but no. Off in the distance we heard a man trying to get our attention. (Not that this is uncommon to these single ladies... we often times encounter situations with young men vying for our attention... :) haha) This man was trying to tell us something... something about his ducks...







Please watch the video to witness the next event. 


So this is me, chatting it up with my new friend, Farmer Jack. He is asking me if I want a duck. He had over 50. I kindly say, "No thank you." (I mean, where would I keep a duck?!) I tell him we are just out taking silly, fun pictures for a scavenger hunt around Woodford County. In which he says, "Well, if would want a picture with some other animals, you can come back to the barn and see the 2 week old calves that came today.

Now pause the story....

For one .08 of a second, I think, "Is this safe? This strange man who wants to give us ducks and his massive dog playing fetch with a 2x4? Two, single gals going farther away from the road with him... TO HIS BARN?" 

And then I respond, "Of course!" He is my new farmer friend Jack and all! And I want to see a baby cow!

So I hollar out to my friend, Nance, "Hey! Wanna go see some cows?" In which I can tell she is confused and cautiously turns off her car and steps out. She definitely surveys the scene (as any smart, single woman should...). Seeing it being safe and all, she joins me with farmer Jack, his dog, and the 2x4.

We walk back to the barn and we see the most adorable baby cows. They were SUPER skiddish as you can see. They are cowering in the corner... precious.
So Farmer Jack asks if we want to see some other baby cows that aren't as skiddish. We had to go to the other barn behind the one we were already in. I give a quick glance to Nance... and of course we said yes!


These cows were a little more friendly...



Now, before you get too scared about us single ladies hanging out with Farmer Jack in his barn that is far away from the road and his massive dog and the 2x4, his girlfriend, Danielle, arrives to the farm. She has goats. So she goes and fetches them for us to pet and hang out with. So now we are two single girls on a strange man's farm in his barn that is far away from the road with his massive dog and the 2x4.... and his girlfriend. See, it's a lot safer now. :)







We stay about 45 minutes at the farm. We learn lots of cool things about Farmer Jack and his girlfriend Danielle, and Clear Creek Farm. And as any good school teachers would do, we get his contact information because he has volunteered to come and speak to our class about farms and animals... even bringing a goat or two to pet. What a great resource! Always looking for good, educational resources... 

Because we walked so far away from the road, we ride the golf cart, with one of the goats riding along with us, back to our car. What a funny sight! I can honestly say that I had never ridden with a goat before that day. 



All in all, it was a good adventure. We were safe. :) You never know who you will meet and what you will experience when you stop to take a picture with a random sign... 

We did go home without a duck though. Nancy still wishes I had taken a duck. Maybe on the next legendary adventure. I mean, every legendary adventure can't end with a duck. 

Here is the after thoughts of the farm extravaganza...



4 comments:

  1. I. Love. This. My favorite is how many times you mentioned the dog carrying the 2x4. I think that was my favorite part of the whole experience. This post needs a sequel though to include our time in Nonesuch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this blog!! I just discovered it today and can't stop reading it :-)

    I am a KY blogger as well. Small world!

    ReplyDelete