Tomorrow is my Aunt Linda's birthday. I miss her...
Aunt Linda loved tulips and roses. She loved collecting tea pots and vases, watching CSI and Matlock, traveling and more traveling, singing in the choir and playing the cello and piano, playing with her grandkids, and going to the beach, reading Nicholas Sparks and studying the Bible, working puzzles and playing cards. She was a cut-throat canasta player. I'll never forget the time she made me cry playing cards. Ok, the TIMES she made me cry... She didn't go easy on me. And I am glad for that. Made me stronger, :) at least I like to think that. But really, each time we got together we would play a game of canasta. And each time I was more determined to beat her. To beat the canasta saint would be... legendary. One glorious day that happened. At the beach 4 and 1/2 years ago. It was an unexpected win to say the least. She was surprised and didn't see it coming. I however, had been thinking about the play for 10 years. However, victory against the canasta queen was short lived. I never won against her after that. Maybe in Heaven we'll play again.
Aunt Linda was a very strong person, and someone I admire. Aunt Linda was a teacher for 30+ years to 1st graders and to 5th graders. She loved her students to pieces. She had a gift at being able to see their emotional and academic needs. I was able to observe her teaching while I was in college. Her class had a respect for her that blew me away. It was so obvious that all her students knew that she cared about them. She would show me how she individualized each child's spelling word list and grouped students based on their reading and math needs. She saw the potential in each one of her students. It was clearly evident with how she treated them, planned her lessons, and implemented instruction. I watched her as she took the time to talk to students; sometimes it was a stern talking to, as other times it was a gentle, and almost secretive praise and encouragement. Each child knew she would do anything for them. As a teacher now, I am amazed that she was able accomplish all this. When I first started teaching 4th grade, I would call my aunt regularly, begging for ideas, crying, venting... And she always had a great idea to share to help me be successful and my students be successful, a shoulder (over the phone...) to cry on, and empathy to help me know I wasn't alone or crazy. My favorite though was when I would share a success story. Something in the classroom that went so well. She was always so proud. We definitely had a teacher bond. We got each other in that way.
One of the things that I admire about my Aunt Linda the most is her faithfulness to God. I am teary eyed as I type this. My aunt had so many wonderful blessings in her life. (I mean, come'on, I was her niece!!) For real, she had a wonderful career, beautiful grandchildren, great friends, saw so much of the world, shared her faith with many people, had so many great experiences. God really blessed her. But she also went through lots of adversity and heartache in her life. Broken relationships, taking care of her ailing mother - while working full time, and a few bouts with cancer. She was a fighter. She took on that cancer and fought hard. She wasn't going to let it take away adventures and joy from her life. If cancer or relationships were brought up, she always spoke of God's goodness, His love, protection, and faithfulness. Always. It was never a "woe is me"attitude. After my break-up with Gabe and her divorce was finalized, we took a trip to the beach together. It is the best memories of my aunt. Laughing, shopping, playing cards, reading books, being scared as she drove crazy backroads! The weekend was refreshing. Honest, real, and fun. Aunt Linda understood all of my feelings and fears. One afternoon, as we walked along the beach, listening to the waves she said this...
...I love the waves. They are a picture of God's faithfulness to me. His blessings never stop. They keep coming, and coming, and coming. His love reaches out to us, seeking us, wanting to touch us. The waves have no end. Just like God. His love and faithfulness have no end...
And knowing all that my aunt went through, this has stuck to me like super glue. She whole heartedly believed that. When God changed the circumstances in her life, she went with it. Joined a different Sunday school group, met new friends, moved houses, took up knitting, learned to play the cello... and I know none of it was easy. But she did it with grace. And she did it because she trusted God. She knew He had her back. Loved her. And had good things still planned for her. Her life wasn't over. She never lost sight of who was in control of life or where the source of hope came from. She trusted God. In all circumstances. Continued to live with joy. And seeing that type of faith... is still encouraging to me when I go through difficult times.
I would love to spend a few hours laughing together at the silly things students say, or take a walk on the beach with her, or split a crabcake on a rainy day at the beach, sing Chris Tomlin in the car with her, play a hand of canasta, drive the crazy backroads to Pawley's Island, listen to G'andy and Grandmother stories, slip into the back room of our beach house and drink a glass of hidden wine from the closet and giggle at how we feel like silly teenagers being sneaky.... or just simply call her to catch up.
I'm so thankful that God blessed me with my Aunt Linda. There is no one like her. Her life lived with faithfulness to God and strength and joy will never be forgotten.


She touched many peoples lives.
ReplyDeleteBecca-- this is a wonderful thoughtful loving tribute to your Aunt Linda. :) Personally, I think you are more like her in the classroom then you let yourself believe.
ReplyDeleteRebecca, I remember praying for your Aunt Linda many years ago when she first had cancer. I didn't know her but I was drawn by her story and her faith. I am so sorry that she has passed on but oh what a reward she had waiting for her. I am so glad you had such a wonderful, loving relationship with her. I am sure you are just like her with your students, you learned well from a great teacher. Blessings to you.
ReplyDeleteI was only around Linda a couple of brief times but enough to also recognize what a neat person she was. Glad that you will see her again in Heaven.
ReplyDeletecindy kramer