Number 1. The first time I heard this song was in a high school chapel service and the guy leading the song was extremely fake and emotional. So... I tuned out and it turned me off to this song.
Number 2. When the song came out I was totally in the phase of not liking any worship song that had to do with me and did not specifically praise the character of God. (Somewhat legitimate, somewhat silly.)
Anyway. I recently was looking through my guitar songbook and rediscovered this song. Being one of the few songs I can play, I tried it out. As I played it, I realized how honest the song is, and how personal it is. I was wrong about it. It's a simple prayer from the heart. And I realized it is exactly what my heart is crying out to God about. I want my passion, my purpose, my joy to be God. Not my circumstance, not the events in my life... I want God to simply be my desire, and my purpose to love and glorify Him. I truly just want to know Him more. I'm learning more that this is really what Christian life is about. (Cliche? Yes. But there is always so much truth behind a cliche... that is how it became a cliche, right?)
Give me one pure and holy passion
Give me one magnificent obsession
Give me one glorious ambition for my life
To know and follow hard after You
Give me one pure and holy passion
Give me on magnificent obsession
Give me one glorious ambition for my life
To know and follow hard after You
To know and follow hard after you
To grow as your dicsiple in your truth
This world is empty, pale, and poor
Compared to knowing you, my Lord
Lead me on and I will run after you
Lead me on and I will run after you
Give me one pure and holy passion
Give me one magnificent obsession
Give me one glorious ambition for my life
To know and follow hard after you
To know and follow hard after you
To grow as your disciple in the truth
This world is empty, pale, and poor
Compared to knowing you my Lord
Lead me on and I will run after you
Lord to know and follow hard after you
And to grow as your disciple in your truth
This world is empty, pale, and poor
Compared to knowing you my Lord
Lead me on and I will run after you
Lead me on and I will run after you
Lead me on and I will run after you


I have always loved this song. Now, I'll probably be humming it for the next week. By the way, who was leading worship that day?
ReplyDelete