I've been thinking about this famous presidential speech today. Basically because I am THRILLED about my opportunity to serve as a juror. Most people hate being served for jury duty, and possibly, after my experience, I will be too. But as of right now, I am excited. There are two ways I can serve my county. 1. Being part of the military, and 2. Serving in the government (judicial) system. The first, I will 99.9% never do. I have no desire and simply don't think that is the direction God has for me. The latter however, I am so excited about, and so willing to do.
If you know anything about me, you know that I love adventure and trying new things. I like taking boring things and making them fun (another post to come); I love to get people excited about something. The judicial system is somewhat unknown territory for me. I think it is great to learn more about it, and to be part of making decisions for my community and country.
I had my Juror Orientation today. I will say that there was a mix of thrill and disappointment.
The thrill of understanding the process and then actually starting the process.
During the orientation the circuit court randomly selected 15 people to be on the grand jury. I wanted to be on that SO badly! Sigh... it wasn't meant to be though. Thus, my disappointment. Oh well.
Another reason that I am looking forward to this opportunity is because of being part of a decision process. I can be very indecisive sometimes. But in the end I will have to make a decision. That is good pressure for me. But I'm also excited because I think that I'll be able to make a decision the way that is natural for me. Take all the evidence and information, discuss it, think about it, and make a decision. I like knowing all the facts before deciding something. I'm so glad that I will (potentially) be expected to make a decision in a natural way.
I appreciate the way our government is set up. I appreciate the judicial system and how a group of random people make a decision. I'm so glad that it isn't one biased person. Or a hand selected group. (Like is used to be back in the 50's)
It amazes me that people do not appreciate this that much. There were so many people today that wanted to get out of jury duty. I know I am quirky, but I'm glad I can perform my civic duty.
I hope so much that Juror number 406 is picked. :)
Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country. :)


Becca,
ReplyDeleteYou make me smile so much! This post is so ... you! I love it, because I love you! Good luck and I hope you get picked!
how fun! i've never been even called to jury duty. enjoy it -- and the time off work :) i'm excited to hear how it goes!
ReplyDelete