A blog devoted to sharing the journeys of my heart

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness, For His name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. Psalm 23

Monday, March 15, 2010

Garbage and Rats

Get rid of the garbage, and the rats will go away.

Not very many people like rats. There is a little girl in my class that has a pet rat. She wants to bring it in to show the class. I don't mind a pet turtle for show and tell. Dioge the rabbit, of course! Rascal the gerbil, why not? The big iguana, ok. But a rat... how can I get around this one? Really? Pet Rats? Come on. I think that is just weird. But I have been told that despite the dirty stigma that people think about with rats, that they are actually clean rodents... however, I'm not convinced. (The are RODENTS, right?) Call me prejudice, but I don't like the little long tailed, beady-eyed creatures, even if, by chance, they are clean. I can't get past it. Rats make me scream.

Last year there was this house in Lexington that was condemned because of rats. For days it was one of the top stories on the news. It was strange, the house was in a pretty nice neighborhood, and the house itself was nicely painted, had a decent sized yard, and it seemed like it was in good shape from the outside. However, it was infested with rats. Infested. (brings me shivers) So much so, that the neighbors began to see rats all around this house, and eventually called the health department to come and check it out... and so, the house was condemned.

When you get infested with something like that, I would imagine that it would be hard to focus on anything but getting rid of the rats. Just get rid of the immediate problem. Rats. Putting out poison, setting traps... just trying to kill them and stop them from multiplying. (I get shivers from thinking about so many rats... ewe, ewe, ewe)

However, I do have a little pity on the owner of the house. I imagine that it was overwhelming to think about getting rid of such an epidemic. But, if the owner of the house had taken care of the dirt and the garbage first, the rats would have eventually died and gone away.

Get rid of the garbage and the rats will go away.

So many times we focus on the outcomes, the symptoms if you will, instead of the heart of the problem. The garbage. Get rid of the grime, and the rats will have nothing to feed on, they won't be able to survive or exist. Multiply or have anything to come back to.

I've been thinking a lot lately about this lately. The house, like many people, seemed in good shape. But take a look inside, and things are messed up.

There are some heart sins that I need to get rid of... lack of faith... jealousy... lies of insecurity... Get rid of this garbage, and God's freedom and love will flow more freely...

But it is overwhelming... and I think that is why I have pity on the infested-rat-house-owner. It takes a lot of work to get the garbage cleaned up...

But work that is worth it. No one wants to live in dirt. People like freedom. It's an opportunity to have more of God's love and grace to flow through me to others. So... I'm getting rid of the garbage, so the rats go away...

Lord, I'm believing You... trusting in your plan for my life. That it is better than what I'm jealous of my friends for... I am who You say I am. I'm not a failure... I am believing You.

1 comment:

  1. That's good thinking. Many people never understand that. That's why they keep making the same mistakes over and over.

    ReplyDelete