A blog devoted to sharing the journeys of my heart

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness, For His name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. Psalm 23

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Soul's Rest

Preachy??? Maybe... Sorry...

Tonight I was reading in Matthew and came across a well known passage of Scripture...

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

To be completely honest, I've never really liked this passage because I feel like it was always taught to me in a "God-will-make-your-life-easy" type of way. And I don't think that is all together theologically accurate and what this passage is saying.

This passage says that God will give us rest. That doesn't mean that He is obligated to take away a situation, or make the situation easy... in trusting Him, He gives our souls rest. Because He never says in the passage that we will not have to carry anything... oh the contrary. We do have to carry something- His yoke. And praise Him, His yoke is easier. Non-existent? no... just more restful for our souls.

And I guess, tonight, I see this verse in this different light tonight. It doesn't annoy me now... (I know that is awful that there was Scripture that annoyed me. Talk about a confession...)

Anyway. God has not fully taken away difficulties in my life (and probably yours too)... but, when I give them to Him, I find rest. I find that the stress and sin that I bring to the situation lessens.

So... "Come to Jesus, and find rest for your soul..." ohhhh, what a promise. My heart is overwhelmed with that promise and the hope that it fills inside of me.

Praise our Lord...

No comments:

Post a Comment