A blog devoted to sharing the journeys of my heart

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness, For His name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. Psalm 23

Friday, July 3, 2009

Taking the Journey

I've been doing a Bible Study lately on the Psalms of Ascent. (Psalm 120-134) I've been trying to process what I want to express about this Bible Study and the impact it has had on my life and I can't seem to wrap my mind around it fully. I simply feel that I relate to these Psalms- that they were written for me for this time of my life. The background of these Psalms are interesting. They are songs written that the exiles sang on their way back to Jerusalem and when the Israelites traveled to Jerusalem for various feasts. I love the idea that when these songs were created/sung, the Israelites were on a long journey in their life. Hard journeys- they needed protection, guidance, security. Just like the Israelites, I am on a journey as well. I am traveling to My Mount Zion. Although I don't quite know where that is, or what it looks like, I'm excited to get there. Just like the Israelites were overjoyed with their destination. The road there is difficult, with lots of unexpected snags and sadness, but I am going to get there. Psalm 124 is about where the Israelites would be if it wasn't for God's protection and provision in their lives. There are days that I feel the same way. Where would I be without the Lord's help, without the Lord fighting for me, against my enemies? Many days I struggle with the question, "Why do I have to travel on this road? Why can't I travel on that road over there and get to the same place?" John 13:7 has been a help- Jesus replied, "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand." I have chosen to trust God, even when it doesn't make the slightest amount of sense. Someday, on earth or in heaven, I will understand why God has chosen and allowed this for my life. Although I am ready for that day to be today, I am comforted by the truth that I will know eventually. Because God is good. And he keeps his promises. Faith is what it is about- believing God even when my emotions tell me otherwise.

I believe God is who he says he is
I believe God can do what he says he can do
I believe I am who God says I am
I believe I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
I believe God's Word is alive and active in me

If God is for me, who can be against me? If God is leading me on this journey, why would I want to be anywhere else? Zephaniah 3:17- The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.
I love the idea that God sings over me... every time I am used for his glory, God bursts out in a praise song.

"Make me know Your ways, O Lord; teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; for You I wait all the day." Psalm 25: 4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment